Monday, September 3, 2007

Hello Seattle!

After spending August apartment hunting on craigslist, I finally found a September sublease in downtown Seattle. My flight landed on a sunny Thursday. Nan picked me up from the airport and we went to a late lunch in Wallingford. Majority of the restaurants were closed but that might have been because it was after the usually lunch hours on a weekday. We ended up at a Japanese place because, well, it was open.

She dropped me off at my September home, a twelfth floor 2 bedroom apartment with a view of downtown. I met my new roommate who was sick and stayed home from work. Didn't do much the rest of the day except went to the store downstairs to buy food. Actually, didn't do much on Friday either. Went to the downtown library, an amazing structure with glass and steel exterior, to pick up bus map book. Walk around downtown a little bit and came back to the apartment.

On Saturday, went to Nan's and Steve's apartment to have lunch and went for a walk around Green Lake. We decided to rent a pedal boat. It was $12 for an hour. After putting on our life vests, we got to pedaling. We were aiming for duck island but wasn't sure if were going to make it because, after 10 minutes, we were already tired! We came pretty close to the island and then turned around to go back to the dock. The ride back was a lot easier because the current was going with us. Needless to say we did not last the full hour. We went and got green tea lemonade at Starbucks (insert Seattle joke here), and headed home. On the drive back to drop me off, we stopped at REI to pick up some pack towels for them and Trader Joe's to pick up grocery for both our places.

Sunday and today, I watched TV, listened to music, and cruised craigslist for shared housing and employment. I'll be doing that pretty much everyday until I find a place to live and land a new job. But I did went out for a drink tonight with my roommate's friends at Joey's in South Lake Union. Very nice place on the water. We sat outside. The weather is similar to Santa Barbara right now.

So that's my first couple of days in my new city. And my first holiday. Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bee, it's Tracy .. sounds like you are doing well, hope you landed a job n' place you like!

bee said...

Thanks Tracy! Found a place now I just need to find a job!